Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Difficult people

We all have a few of them in our lives. Those people that are difficult to be around. The people that leave you exhausted simply by their mere presence. (If you are reading this you are not who I am thinking of, so don't even ask.)
I have had my fair share of times when I have responded to difficult people in ways that were less than Godly. I have gossiped, I have yelled, I have gotten angry, and I have wished bad things upon them. I read something once in Oswald Chamber's book, My Utmost for his highest, that has stuck with me. I cannot remember the quote, but essentially he said that when God places a difficult person in your life and gives you some discernment as to why, they are the way they are, that is so you can pray for them. Not so you can pass judgement or blame or gossip about them, but so you have a more clear understanding of how to pray. That was very profound to me. And it has changed the way I see difficult people now. I think it has also opened up a door of wisdom for me. God has given me more insight into the difficult relationships in my life than ever before.
Does it make the relationship easier? No. I still want to hide and walk away at times, but it does give me a little more compassion. And it keeps me from sinning by turning to God to pray for the person instead of internalizing the wounds they are giving me. James 1:5 "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." God has proven over and over again that he really will do what he says. He given me wisdom every time I ask Him for it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

O.K. so I had a time convincing your dad that you weren't talking about him. Glad that your not difficult.
Love Ya