Monday, March 26, 2012

Food for thought

I was just chewing on an article I read. The teenage son of a pastor (black) asks a white girl from his Christian school if she would attend his senior prom with him. She says yes but then a few days later comes back to him with tears and says her dad, "doesn't believe in that." This church going, assuming Bible believing dad doesn't believe in that.

So I am just wondering, assuming our adoption works out and we really bring home a beautiful dark skinned baby boy, will anyone be offended in 18 years if he wants to take your white daughter to prom? Or what if in 25 years he asks your daughter to marry him? Will anyone really think, "I don't believe in that kind of thing?"

I hope not, but I cannot help to think that may be something we will encounter.

And I am chewing on that today.

2 comments:

Margie said...

Just let me know... I'll thump someone with my bible!

Sydneys Song said...

Isn't it sad that we live in a culture like that!!!! But we totally do! A friend of mine dated a guy that was African American from our Christian school, and to some it was a big deal, sadly!!
Honestly I personally do not feel equipped to deal with racial issues like that, there are just so many things involved, culturally, that i dont feel like EJ and would adopt a "dark skinned" or african american child. BUT!!!!! I DO BELIEVE that if God has called your family in this direction and you are being faithful, IT IS ABSOLUTLY THE BEST DECISION FOR YOUR FAMILY AND HE WILL BE GRACIOUS TO YOU TO AND BLESS YOU AND LEAD YOU AND YOUR FAMILY THRU ANY
THING THAT MIGHT COME UP! <3 you have a precious family, and I admire your hearts for God!