Sunday, October 12, 2008

The wonder of a child

Today our family spent the day with my best friend's family to celebrate her birthday. They have two kids about the same age as ours, so it is usually very fun and very crazy when we all get together. We went to a place called canterbury village. It is a really fun little place that has a bunch of shops and alot of christmas type things. It is amazing to me to watch my daughter experience something for the first time (or second or third.) The place was decorated with huge characters all over. Elves making larger than life cupcakes. Knights guarding fake castles. Just really elaborate over the top things and her eyes light up to see them. And it makes me remember before we had her. We would never have spent 20 minutes by the snow white story. We stayed there simply because the kids wanted to watch this 3 minute skit over and over. We would have missed it probably. It makes me wonder and what else I would miss without them. I would probably not have found that snake in the backyard this summer and if I did I would have run, not stayed there simply because I dont want to teach her to be afraid of my fears. I definitely would have missed playing in the mud puddle in the back of the driveway. I would not watch sesame street or know all the songs to elmo in grouchland by heart. I would not appreciate "bedtime" nearly as much. I am incredibly grateful that for this moment in time I can see the world like a child. In 15 years or so I am sure the wonder will not be there. I am absolutely sure that I will go back to not seeing snakes or playing in puddles. But I hope that I gain something for having been through it. Tonight when I was putting Elizabeth to bed , we were reading her bible and talking about Jesus. We were talking about how God sent Jesus to earth to die for our sins. She said "heart, heart" I said yes Jesus can live in your heart. She said "Mama heart, Dada heart" I said yes Jesus lives in mommy and daddy's heart. She said "Own heart." I said he can if you ask him to. Would you like to ask him. She said "uh, huh." Then I said ok we can. You will understand more when you are older, but pray to Jesus and say live in my heart please. She said. "Jesus, heart, please." I want to have that. That heart of a child. And honestly I do want her to understand more as she grows, but in some ways I think she knows more now than she ever will. She simply wants Jesus. I pray she always will and will serve him even when the world clouds her vision and she has so many other choices. I am incredibly grateful I can see the wonder of God in my beautiful little girl and I want to want him the way she does. Simply want Jesus. Jesus - heart- please.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Nice Blog! Welcome to the world of blogging!

Nicole

Margie said...

i love it!! I need to have the heart of a child!!

Welcome to blogging! I'm going to add you to my links!