Monday, February 2, 2009

Spiritual Gifts

Yesterday our pastor preached about spiritual gifts. It was a very good sermon. A reminder of how all gifts were created to be used within the body of Christ and if we seperate our gift from the body it is like we are taking a chain saw and cutting off our foot. It will severely impair the body and the foot will be dead. It was a good reminder and it was nice to actually hear a sermon. We have been on the search for nearly a year for a church home and during that time it was very difficult to put our kids in a nursery. We were not even sure if we were staying at a church half the time and we did not know anyone at most places we visited. Since about October we have been going to a Life church and we are very excited about the possibility that this might be a place we can plant ourselves for more than a month. So we finally, ( we as in I, Todd was ready a while ago) decided to leave the kids in the nursery. They have gone three times and I was able to hear two sermons. (Last week I was in the nursery the whole time.) It is immensely nice to sit in church next to my husband and listen to the word of God being taught. I miss it. But back to my thought on spiritual gifts. I know that God gifts his people with special "abilities" so they can serve the body and glorify him and I thought in the past I may have known some of my own gifts, but it leads me to a thought I was having pretty much the whole time he was teaching. I was thinking about my kids. I was missing them and wondering are they ok? Is Lizzie still crying? Is Claire getting fussy? I know that the Bible is very clear about a woman's role when she is a wife. She is to love, care for, meet her husbands needs, care for her home and children. I also know that God calls all of us to preach the gospel. He calls all of us to lift up the name of Jesus. To point others to the redemption that he brought by sacrificing himself on the cross. But what does that mean for someone like me? What does that mean for anyone? Most of my day feels so mundane and far from extraordinary, how am I using gifts to glorify Him? Or is it in the mundane that he is glorified? Is He glorified by, living life connected to him even amidst diapers, spit-up, crying, timeouts? I know all of us cannot spend hours a week "serving" at church? What do you think?

No comments: