Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Beauty is pain, right?

This post is not for the faint of heart. If you are male or otherwise not interested in yucky beauty stuff please feel free to not read. :)

So I have spent the last 20 minutes doing "beauty" treatments. I don't feel very beautiful, and I look all red and blotchy, but oh well.

The first thing I did was to use a new product called "smooth away." I found it a Target and it was supposed to be a pain free way to remove hair. I have noticed in the last year that hair is growing on my face in places it never was before. Maybe it is because I am getting closer and closer to 30, but it has driven me crazy. So today I was motivated and while kids were in bed I decided to try it. I have never waxed or anything like that before, so pain free was what I was drawn to. I took the small plastic applicator out of the package and applied what looked like dull sand paper with adhesive. Then I followed the instructions and removed the hair by moving in slow circular motions over the affected area. I was suprised with how quickly the hair came off. It was pretty easy. It was a little more difficult to use around the corners of my mouth, but overall it was pretty good. It was not really painful while I was using it, but immediately after my face started to burn. I followed the instructions for after treatment and applied cold water and then a cotton ball soaked in milk. It helped a bit with the stinging, but the redness is still there.

Next, I attacked some small blemish on my face. First I googled it. I have had this small white pimple like blemish on my cheek for a month. I have been expecting it to go away, but it has not, so I went to work to find out what it was. Not sure what it was called still, but google instructed me to either see a dermatoligist or try to remove it myself. No way I am seeing a dermatologist if I can remove it myself. So on to plan B. I followed the instructions and found a needle. I burned the tip to disinfect and then poked my face on the site of the blemish. I was told I need to squeeze whatever was in there out. I poked and squeezed and was pretty sure nothing was coming out. I was about ready to give up, but tried one more time. This time I squeezed and a small white ball came out. Sweet was my only thought. I am glad that is finally gone. Now hopefully this scab mark from the needle will heal.

Now I look red and blochty and my face burns. But this is what women do, right?

I am not usually a vain person. Not that being beautiful is vanity, but I just mean that I do not spend very much time looking in the mirror. I am lucky to shower on most days and do not usually take such lengths to look pretty.

But Friday night my husband planned a special night for us. He found a sitter, planned the night and bought me a new dress. I have no idea what we are doing, but I am excited. So I am going all out. It is fun to get decked out once in a while, isn't it? Hopefully my face looks less red by then.

No comments: