Saturday, February 13, 2010

Date Night

I just wanted to brag on my hubby a bit. On Friday night he took me on a date that he planned completely. I did not know anything except that we were going out. I did not have to find the sitter or plan the meal or plan anything. I just got dressed and showed up. That in and of itself was a nice treat. Sometimes planning a date, with kids, is so much work that I almost do not want to do it. But he surprised me and this is how the night went:

He arrived home from work in the afternoon and the kids were still napping. I was getting ready in our bedroom and he must have been home longer than I thought. (More on that in a moment.) He came upstairs and showered and then took the kids downstairs, so I could finish getting ready. When I came downstairs I found a present in the kitchen. He had arranged flowers and cards around a beautiful new purse for me. (I have not gotten a new purse in a year, so this was a wonderful gift.) As I opened the cards, I found one was from the girls. He had them color a card for me that said I was the best mommy. And then his card was absolutely perfect and basically said that he noticed me. As moms we do a million and one things and it is easy to feel under appreciated and unnoticed, but he reminded me that he saw me and appreciated my efforts. After I was flooded with tears, we got the kids all set for the sitter and left for our night. Our first stop was Olive Garden. I was super excited because I was definitely craving some bread and salad. And I took the opportunity to have a night off from counting calories. (I need those every once in a while.) We enjoyed a delicious meal and talked for a long time. After dinner we went to Starbucks and talked and then we got ice cream to take home. It was a simple date, but it was so nice to be out together and share some alone time.

It is so nice to be in love with someone and be able to share those moments. I am so thankful that God blessed me with him! I am truly a lucky woman.

I know Valentines day can be hard for some people. Some people are divorced or single or in an unhappy marriage.

If you are single or single again I encourage you to find love with the one who loves you more than all others. Jesus is the friend and lover to the lonely. Let him be yours. He desires to show you what true love is. All you need to do is ask him. And don't spend the day alone. Find a friend. Find someone who is maybe more lonely than you and cheer them up. Staying home watching sappy love movies and feeling sorry for yourself will probably not make you feel better. So don't do it.

If you are in a lonely marriage, I would encourage you to take your hurt to God. Let him console you and comfort you. And then ask him how you can bless your spouse. Ask God to teach you how to love your spouse unconditionally. Your spouse is probably hurting as much as you and someone needs to end the cycle of hurt. Let it be you. Let it start today. There is hope for a better life. God wants your marriage to be fulfilling.

Happy Valentines Day!

No comments: